Lemonade Stand 4:000:00 / 4:00
“I definitely enjoyed the music. It's clear that everyone was having a good time and their pleasure creating the music communicates very well.”
— Bruce Iglauer Alligator Records
Johnny in the Basement
Johnny in the Basement, or JITB for short is a Psychedelic World Boogie Roots Rock collective based out of Long Island NY just outside of New York City. Based around frontman Will Bart who at 24 years of age has accumulated an extensive repertoire alongside his JITB project. Will has played with North Mississippi Allstars most recently during their "Up & Rolling" 2019 Northeast Fall tour, Oteil Burbridge, Robert Randolph, John Medeski, Lightnin Malcolm, Robert Kimbrough Sr. Will and JITB have shared stages with Samantha Fish, Danielle Nicole Band, Christone "KINGFISH" Ingram, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Cedric Burnside among many others.
Will started playing guitar in 2009 at the age of 13 and after one year of playing made his first trip down to Clarksdale, MS where he caught the blues bug almost instantly. From that point Will always knew where his heart and musical soul was. Will's musical influences include but are not limited to... Luther Dickinson, Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, Grant Green, The Meters, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, among many others. JITB came to fruition just a year before Will competed and made it to the semi-finals of the International Blues Challenge in 2018 with Carrie & The Cats. In 2017 Bart found himself heading back down to Mississippi as he does each year to play at the 67th Annual Otha Turner Goat Picnic in Senatobia, MS. Having become close with Luther & Cody Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars JITB received their first invite to record at their "Zebra Ranch" studio in MS. Started by their father Jim Dickinson who is credited with playing and producing for The Rolling Stones, Ry Cooder, Derek & The Dominos and much, much more. This session included Will on Guitar and Bass, Lightnin Malcolm on drums, and grandson of Hill Country pioneer RL Burnside, Garry Burnside on guitar as well, and was JITB's debut EP, "Chasing The Feeling" released in 2018.
Fast forward to June 2019, with JITB's lineup more solidified than ever between frontman Will Bart and drummer Jordan Godfrey (Tash Neal Band, MJT). Will & Jordan make their way back down to Mississippi and the Zebra Ranch to record with expert engineer Kevin Houston (North Mississippi Allstars,Samantha Fish, Southern Avenue etc.) for their forthcoming EP "I'll Have What He's Having". The name fits the session as it was Jordan and Will bouncing ideas off each other and building and creating as the two day session commenced in the hot summer June heat of Mississippi. The result was four brand new JITB tracks that will be available in the very near future.
Johnny in the Basement have been steadily playing shows in the tri-state area as well as down in Memphis and Mississippi just beginning to infiltrate all sorts of music scenes across the country. Aside from the new style of roots rock that comes from our original music JITB brings new life to old classic tunes you may or may not have heard of. The basement is known for bringing a high octane live atmosphere to any venue or stage they play.
Sure to be hot on the scene as they grow bigger and get more shows under their belt JITB is working to be a mainstay in the festival circuit and to bring live music and an unforgettable experience to anyone to who catches a Johnny in the Basement event.
- Performed with Robert Randolph & The Word at Capitol Theater in Port Chester.
- Performed with North Mississippi Allstars during 2018 Winter tour (Brooklyn Bowl, Stage One in Fairfield CT)
- Studied with Butch Trucks, Oteil Burbridge, Luther & Cody Dickinson, Johnny Vidacovich, Jack Pearson, John Kadlecik, Scott Metzger,Vaylor Trucks,Col Bruce, at Roots Rock Revival music camp.
- 2018 International Blues Challenge Semi-Finalist in Memphis TN, representing NYC & Long Island.
- Played Great South Bay Music Festival 2017,2018 opening for Little Feat, Hot Tuna, Devon Allman Project.
- Toured with Lightnin Malcolm supporting Samantha Fish and her band in the Northeast tour 2016.
- Opened for Samantha Fish, Danielle Nicole Band,Christone "KINGFISH" Ingram The Lucky Chops, 311, and The Wailers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Matisyahu
- Played with Robert Kimbrough Sr Blues Connection at the 2015,2016,2017,2019 North Mississippi Hill Country Picnic
- Recorded debut EP, 'Chasing The Feeling,' at the Zebra Ranch studios in Independence, MS.
- Recorded our 2nd forthcoming EP "I'll Have What He's Having" at Zebra Ranch Studios.